Monday, October 7, 2013

NEW-MEDIA ARTISTS

Prior to entering this class, I was not completely sure what exactly the role of a new-media artist entailed. I knew that they some how incorporated media in a new and innovative way. After investigating and combing through the list of new-media artists, I found that I in fact was familiar with quite a few of the artists! For example, I had learned about J.R. though Mr. King in our face to face class. I was also familiar with Banksy and some of his work. DJ Spooky and Christo and Jeanne-Claude were the only other new-media artists that I was familiar with. As I also looked though the "Digital Media and the Arts: student showcase" website, it was interesting to read about and see how dance companies are incorporating new media. I mostly focused on the dance companies, but its not just dance; musicians, theatrical companies and visual artists are all on board as well.

Christo and Jeanne-Claude were artists that I enjoyed learning about. Perhaps I found them the most intriguing because I am familiar with one of their most well known pieces: The Gates. The couple is known for creating "environmental works of art" as well as wrapping things. And that is exactly what they did with The Gates. 7,503 vinyl "gates"were installed along the pathways of Central Park; and from the gates a piece of saffron colored fabric was hung. I remember walking through Central park with my parents on one of the last days of the exhibit and I thought that The Gates were exquisite! According to the documentary made on The Gates the art work "brought over 4 million visitors from around the world to Central Park."









No comments:

Post a Comment