Sunday, October 13, 2013

I’m thinking… I’m thinking…

I think a “good idea” is a thought or a proposal that is progressive and most especially beneficial in some way. When I see a good idea, I get excited and the wheels in my brain start turning, and I think to myself how can I add to this or make it even better? I know it’s a good idea because it just makes sense and everything falls into place.

My thought process is an organized mess; kind of like my room. Everything is scattered all over the place, but I know exactly where to go when I am looking for something. I have a number of ways to come up with new ideas, but I wouldn’t say that I have one specific process; therefore my method differs from James Webb Young’s process. Webb has a five-step process that the mind follows in order to come up with an idea. It goes like this:

  1. Mind gathers raw material
  2. Mind masticates the material
  3. Mind drops the subject (DON’T THINK ABOUT IT)
  4. Idea will appear!
  5. Bring the idea to world for criticism and development and eventually “practical usefulness.”

To a certain degree I search for new relationships and connections during my thought process, but they just come together, I don’t force them. Webb’s process is most defiantly a combination of creativity and intellect; for both go hand in hand in order to spark the light that will create the eureka effect. I believe that I use my intellect as well as the background information I have stored and I then attempt to turn that capacity into something innovative.

The first “step” of my process to come up with good idea is brainstorming. I recall in elementary school I was taught to make brainstorm clouds or bubbles. You start by making one big main bubble and then little bubbles would branch off the main on and lead you to a whole other idea. I still use this method from time to time; though it seems elementary I actually works! After brainstorming I usually have an idea of where I am going with the idea. The next “step” includes siting down at my desk and listening to the Beatles with a notebook in hand and making a bullet point list of fleshed out ideas. From there I deduce which one is the best for the specific purpose.

It is in the realm of possibilities that my thought process is too simple. Therefore, I will occasionally ask a parent, friend, or teacher for advice. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. If I find their advice to be helpful I am easily swayed and I change my idea when perhaps I should have stuck with the original. Other times I totally disagree and keep my thoughts to myself. I would refer to Google as a secondary source in my course of action. This is where the intellect part of the process comes into play. If I am not familiar with the subject I am dealing with then I will turn to Google and look up the information I feel I need to know in order to proceed with the process.

My notebook is my idea dock. All my little scribbles, notes and doodles are harbored there. I actually have multiple notebooks and I try to always have one with me incase I have a eureka moment. Notebooks are wonderful things to have on subway rides in New York City. On the way to school in the morning I would jot down all the random things that were floating in my mind. I later turn to all my notebooks when I am in search for a good idea.

Something that has been of relevance lately especially in my world is actively contributing to the fight against cancer and working towards a cure. My uncle passed away recently after battling cancer for a year or two. At my dance studio, Manhattan Youth Ballet, two of my main teachers named Erin Fogarty and Daniel Ulbricht produced an organization called Dance Against Cancer. Here is a little blurb and a video from the Facebook page and the website:

“Dance Against Cancer brings together top dance companies from New York City and beyond for a night of beautiful performances, world premiere solos and great company. Since its inauguration, Dance Against Cancer has raised over $60,000 in support of the American Cancer Society.”


For the past two years I was able to volunteer, which entailed that I help set up, work back stage and of course watch the spectacular show! Some of the performers include NYCB’s Ashley Bouder, Maria Kowroski, Wendy Whelan, Tiler Peck, Lauren Lovette, Robert Fairchild, Tyler Angle, Gonzalo Garcia and Daniel Ulbricht, American Ballet Theatre's Misty Copeland and Herman Cornejo. And that is just naming a few.

This got my idea juices flowing and I decided to go with the social category. I am interested in exploring how organizations like Dance Against Cancer can sell them selves out in order to raise awareness and I am positive with the help of new-media it is possible. I want to find other groups like Dance Against Cancer, and I want to see how they get their name out in the open and make their art form accessible to the public. I am sure that many people want to help the cause, but they are not aware that there are associations such as Dance Against Cancer.

I am going to do some research looking for other organizations that use not only dance but also drama and visual arts to raise awareness not only for cancer, but other major causes. I want to learn how Dance Against Cancer can work on their publicity. So far they have a website and a Facebook page that only has about 144 likes. How can we double the likes and get the name out there?



No comments:

Post a Comment